VascuLok Ligating Polymer Clip
The patented VascuLok Polymer Clip technology brings the following advantages comparing to conventional metal and polymer clips:
- Non-erosive to delicate tissues.
- Secure clamping area
- Secure fastening through an integrated locking system – hence a much reduced risk of the clips becoming detached
- Non-metallic (no MRI/CT artefacts, particularly important for brain scanning and tumor monitoring)
- Easy to place around a vessel before closure, but removable if incorrectly placed
- Fibrous capsule forms around the device – securing it further and ‘isolating’ the device from the body.
Current systems on the market can be demonstrated to suffer from the following problems:
- Thin metal clips have sharp and potentially erosive ends which can lead to tissue damage – care is needed during surgery to ensure that clips are not placed too close to sensitive structures
- The clips are not always secure and are known for slippage and migration issues post implantation
- There is no locking mechanism for existing metal clips
- Metal clips create significant MRI/CT artefacts which obscure scanning in the vicinity – an important consideration when used in cancer surgery, or neurosurgery.